Monday, November 7, 2011

how to be a Mom to my own Mom.

I've been hearing everywhere that someday, when we grow old, we'll be the ones who'll act like parents of our own parents. I never thought it will come too soon for me.

Mama recently reconnected with her friends from high school, through Facebook. And today, they agreed to meet-up with each other in Pasay City, a little less than 3 hour-drive from our home. I didn't mind at first that it was taking too long for Mama to come back home until I finished Season 6 of How I Met Your Mother (Shameless Plug) and as I saw her favorite prime time dramas finish one after the other. I began worrying when she wasn't home when the clock stroke 9:00 in the evening.

And I started to call her. But no answer.

Until I read her message that she might be getting home late because it might take long before their dinner shall be served in a "Dampa" restaurant in Pasay City. [Dampa is a haven for sea foods, where you'll be the one to choose which sea creature you shall eat, who shall cook it, and served to you fresh from the live kitchen.]

"Pasay City is too far. Please go home immediately." - I caught myself typing in the text message. Sent.

Until, I realized it's how her messages looked like when I'm still on the road at 9, 10, 11 or 12 in the evening or midnight.

I was too glad when she arrived by 9:30, and was still able to catch a show we watch together every night, "My Binondo Girl", with chocolates and souvenirs from her dear friend. She gave the earrings to me, but i didn't care about it. I was just glad that she was finally home.

Today, I felt the anxiety she feels when I'm not yet home and hours has passed after sun down. I need to get home earlier, from now on, I thought.

Anyway, She was talking that all of them had cars now. I could sense a little envy with her, and comparison to a life that she lives now from her materially successful friends. But, I guess I should save it for another story. ;) 

With Mama, Easter 2011.

"A daughter is a person who'll be your future best friend" - Anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment