Saturday, April 28, 2012

great things start from small beginnings

"Great things come from small beginnings...." might be familiar to some. From childhood, I've been drinking this chocolate energy drink. The advertisement says that it helps a child have an active mind and body. It might somehow affected me, that on days that I couldn't drink that chocolate drink in the morning, I don't have the confidence to face the day. Today, I just want to express my gratitude to that drink who made me ready everyday.

But anyway... then again, it shouldn't be the focus of this blog post. :3

This what I usually stare at during train rides.

Yesterday's train ride home felt different. I decided not just to stare at people in front of me but to watch the outside world the train's window has to offer. My eyes were tying to fix itself at staring into buildings, trees and people passed by, but it couldn't due to the rush. 

"The view from above."
This isn't actually taken from the train but from Ate Ame's condo at Makati.
But, this is somehow what I looks like from the train's window.

"The view from below."
This was taken at a sunny morning lunch time, 
a break from paper works at the office.

Nonetheless, it felt great to stare at people from above. They looked small. In a moment, it seemed like I had the power to control them and to direct their lives. A minute at the train from above is equal to kilometers traveled. But as I shifted my view and tried to look at things from their shoes, I realized that a minute from the person down below would mean only five to ten steps. In addition, as they walked, they would feel the radiant sun heat and the pollution all around. Suddenly, I felt the difficulty of walking on the ground.

In a bird's eye view, it looked as if it was easy to help people. But, as you put yourself into helping one, you'll realize that each person came from different walks of life and maybe on a complex journey ahead. I realized it was easy to think of programs from the macro point of view but difficult to implement it in the micro.

Small beginnings is where every poverty reduction program should start. A small beginning that includes talking with people, living with them, understanding them and putting yourselves in their shoes. More than that, is pulling-out from them, the will to change their lives that they themselves decide to take the road to a better life with minimal gratitude in the assistance to be given to them from government / non government organizations. The road to achieving success in the "great things" starts with that first small beginning step. That's what I learned today.... I mean yesterday. I'm glad to be back blogging. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment