Wednesday, January 20, 2010

the hardships of being a worker

This post was overdue and would have been longer overdue if not for the loud music which I call noise from the party at our neighbor's rooftop, which is the landlady's house by the way.. so I didn't want to argue.

I've been in the workforce for a little less than 9 months, a new me should have been conceived. I have succumbed to the reality of rare opportunities, of the difficulty of landing in a high-paying job because I am just a neophyte and of struggling to live in each day of my life just to live the next day. I've been unconsciously dragged to the 'rat race' and I don't want to be part of it anymore. On the other hand, I don't want to be a 'furita' (Japanese term for freeter) or as Wiki defines "people who do not start a career after high school or university but instead usually live as so-called 'parasite singles' with their parents and earn some money with low skilled and low paid jobs."

I learned the difficulty of spending my own hard-earned money. Though I don't have much financial responsibilities such as food for a family and schooling for a son/daughter, I wonder how my hard-earned money could get spent away swiftly. I am left with awe in the thought that I have to still ask support from my father to get myself to the next payday. With a rumbling stomach and a fatigued body, the mind is what's left to live - think.

It's the high price of goods, the temptation to buy a new book, the latest gadget, the new EP from the many favorite bands, the new exotic-loooking clothes A.K.A. the 'consumerism', or as how a famous novel simply put it, 'being a shophaholic' is one of the reason. I know that I have been afflicted by the plague, but still.. it's difficult to resist the sweets than you've had cherished and enjoyed since time immemorial.

It's true that education doesn't assure you of a good future nowadays. In a conversation between my father and brother...

Papa: I tell you, don't enroll in the private schools. The quality of education is low.
Ian: And why is that?
Papa: Get on a public school, like your sister and see how her life is now. Miserable.

 
And yes, what a good father and brother they are but if they can't make me help in financial matters, they become frank and irritating. There was also a story showed in local TV drama that highlighted the plight of an academically excellent student from the University of the Philippines who ended up being a prostitute.

In a society of workers, it's quite just that the political system take into consideration the cycles of people studying-working-retiring. I mean the government should be abreast with what is happening with its people and if their manpower is harnessed for the good of the nation. Otherwise, it will be like here in the Philippines' that a few elite people are rich and that majority are living in less than 2 dollars a day. The other reason is the inequality; the inequality in everything which sprang up from not sharing everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment