Tuesday, June 5, 2012

everyday small joys are the foundation of happiness

So then, what happened with my resignation letter? The ending is quite very funny.

As I looked back, my supervisor gently threw back to me my resignation letter, with a playful smile and a question "What's this?".  "It's my resignation," I said. He told me we'll talk about it again later, but then he lent me the movie "The Secret".

After watching that movie, we never talked about it again. Until today... when the supervisor next in line asked about my decision to stay or go, seriously.

I learned that my college friend applied to our unit with the same position as mine and I know that there isn't a slight chance that she wouldn't get accepted. My supervisor even remembered that she's a Cum Laude, so I guess that's the assurance she will get in. After hearing from me that she is a very close friend of mine, they joked around saying "If we'd accept her in, would you stay?"

Junior year. With Mylene.
This was the day of our oath as life time member of Pi Gamma Mu.
My good friend was there to support me.

I wasn't quite sure of my answer. I definitely want to work with my friend in the same unit, with the same project and the same position. Just the thought of her being surprised at her first day of work and realizing that I'm there, fills up my heart with excitement. But, I'm also considering about the proximity of office, school and home. It is best to work in Quezon City (QC), go to school in QC and live in QC.

Hanging around UP, a few days before graduation.
UP is my favorite place in the world.
That is why I love Quezon City. :))

Then... this next in line supervisor asked about my resignation letter. I reminded him that it was thrown by our supervisor. He told me that it was found my our clerk, gave it to our supervisor again and was forwarded to the Director. I was quite sure that he was joking but to make it sure, I checked my files and found out the 2 copies of the resignation letter still neatly sealed in the envelopes. It was a joke, after all. I felt relieved.

He asked me to show him the letter. I hesitated at first then gave it to him when he said "I just want to see!".

"Why do you have 2 copies?", he said, while getting the letter out of the envelope and checking if the contents are same.

"Just so, I have a receiving copy for myself."

"Ah.. Okaaaa" , then ripping off the two letters without even finishing his words.

I was at a state of shock for a moment realizing that my ticket to getting out of the office was gone all of a sudden. Then, I felt happy that it wasn't turned in to the Director. Then, I felt happy that everyone agrees it was not the right decision. And, I'm happy that many people cares for me and my future, even at times when I myself have the most cluttered and clouded mind at the time of decision-making. I realized that it takes years and a dose of luck to find such nice people at work who would support you with your decision to study, who'd accept you for your weaknesses and are willing to help you grow, by never getting tired of teaching you the A-Z everyday, and who'd stay with you and let you drink a glass of beer in your all time low. These sort of people are as rare as diamonds to find.

Viewing of documentation of family camp, for their last comments and suggestions.
With Sir Arnel and Sir Anthony.

"Letters like this should be well thought about first", he ended.

Before I came back to my table, he told "Kring, your resignation will be effective 5 years from now."

So that was my simple joy. And that simple joy is the foundation of my happiness at work, probably for the rest of the year or for the next five years, if my supervisors' lips are of an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment