Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"we don't ever give up"

Enrollment in UP is equivalent to preparing for a camping. I was prepared with two breads (one for me and one for my company), a book, music player and even brought the guitar all along. If it weren't for these things, I might have lost my mind at the chaos of the processing of papers, of waiting in long lines and of dealing with lots of different people.

I started the day early, aiming to make it to UP by 7:30 in the morning. Our adviser was already at PHAN, but she didn't accept talking with students until it was 8:00. I was glad to meet her because she was nice. I also felt lucky enough that she's the Department Head. It makes me feel like one of the best cookies being pulled out from a cookie jar.

Until, the administrative assistant sort of scolded me for enlisting subjects before I was advised by the Department Head. Me and Eljay had to go back to OUR to cancel the subjects we weren't allowed to take yet. Guess it isn't always a good idea to get ahead of everything.

My subjects for this semester.

All was flowing well until it was time for validation, assessment and getting our Form5s. I was lucky enough to get mine after 3 hours of waiting. But unluckily, Eljay didn't have the same fate. We waited until 4:00 until he burst out all his feelings of irritation and anger on the Registration Assistants, asking an explanation why his number "29" didn't follow 28 nor 30 nor higher numbers than "29" which meant his Form5 was left out, among all other grad students' documents. He apologized to me, for making a scene. But, I guess it wasn't necessary. People do need to vent out and some people do need to be reminded to keep up with their work at systematically the best way, at all times (which means careful planning, strategizing, etc.).

His being pissed off was coming from anxiety of not catching-up with our supervisor, of disturbing the almost perfect enrollment process I was going through by being a burden of waiting for him, and of spending another day at UP just for paying the fees. Which means, being absent again from work. He was feeling kind of hopeless that we might not finish all the enrollment errands within the day, after the confrontation with the RA.

But I told him "we don't ever give up, Jay." I was also shocked that I told him that at around 4:10 in the afternoon and we were just on our way to the OUR to pay the fees. Only to find out that the system was down at OUR, that we had to go another building called ISSI, with wishful thinking that we could get there on time in a duration of 15-minutes walking.

And so we did. We arrived at ISSI by 4:30. I was hoping that other students might have given up finishing all errands on that day and decided to come back again the next day, such that the line would not be too long when we get to the cashier. And, I was right. :)

By 4:45, we finished everything. I could have dance around after preciously holding my paid Form5, my proof that I am now officially enrolled as MA Psych student.

This is Eljay, seemingly teary-eyed, informing his Dad of the good news.

Holding the Form5. Out and proud. :)

After 7 months of preparing for this, here I am. And yes, until that day that I graduate from MA Psych, I will "don't ever give up." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment