Sunday, January 8, 2012

how to walk the talk by organizing study tour to Japan.

So I have this crazy idea I wanted to share with VOA members yesterday yet I didn't just because I think it was crazy. It was on the first few minutes after waking up, on a Wednesday morning, that it dawned on me an idea to sponsor study tour to Japan for ACCESS's full time staff.

This was my very first visit / study tour to Perez with the first VOA members.
That first time I was asked by Kuya Goto "why do you think Perez is poor?"

I started to work in ACCESS in 2009 and I met more or less 135 Japanese in a span of three years. They all have met Filipino staff of ACCESS and I know at the back of their minds, they still have that memory of 12 days in Philippines, learning about poverty in a Third World country and finding the treasure of Filipino smiles. "Why can't we gather all the people that we love in one place?", asked Snoopy so then I asked myself that early morning if it was possible to make them meet again. I feel luckier that I could still talk with Japanese friends and acquaintances through the internet, but how about my fellow Filipinos who's unlike me spending the waking and close to sleeping hour of their day at the internet. The day they meet again, is a day filled with inspiration and reigniting the fire that was once lightened in Manila, Smoky Mountain, Perez or Pinatubo.

Memory from the first long study tour of ACCESS that I joined.
I fell in love with the concept of "study tour" at that time. 
It was August 2009.

I talk about "walking the talk" because for almost 3 years, I have been an advocate of equality between the Japanese and the Filipino. It is very "ideal" and for some, might be "unrealistic" and "unreachable". Yet, one step is to practice a principle on it's own home. Isn't it a little unfair that only the Japanese students learn from the Filipinos and the Philippines? In an ideal and equal world (that I want to live in), there are "no boundaries" and that any one can go to another country freely. However, the only problem and the only difference is money. Of course, Filipino staff can't go to Japan because they might as well use their money for the basic needs of their family such as food, shelter, health and education (Yes, clothing is a bit luxury).

I became very good friends with Tachi during that August 2009 long tour.
I learned that Japanese people are fun to be with, 
and that there is nothing to be scared with.
They are different people from the Japanese during the WWII.

Of course, fellow ACCESS Filipino staff have their best Japanese friends too.
Like Tomomi, Tinton and Shohei.

There might be negative differences of culture, but what's nice is to learn from each other. I've always heard from Japanese participants of study tour that they are surprised and touched with the smiles from children and every Filipino they meet in my home country, amidst the difficult life they face each day. Most of them also admire the Filipino's "close family ties" wherein, a parent's greatest happiness is making his/her son/daughter finish school.

And they learn it through first hand conversations with Filipino families, 
in the form of an interview.
This was our interview with a family who relies in coco farming for their living.

Like all other Filipino staff, I haven't been to Japan. Probably, if I go there I'd admire the big buildings, neon lights yet carefully preserved traditions of the Japanese. I would have to admire their discipline and "grace under pressure". I'd love to see sakura and yuki. Probably, every Filipino staff would have these things kept in mind before going to Japan. Yet, I want to know what I don't know yet.

Japan is something so close yet so far, for all of us.

What is there in Japan that kept the nation successful? What makes the Japanese the most disciplined people in the world? What made them value hard work and putting their hearts in what they do every time? How have they kept their Japanese traditions for so many years and continue to be loving their own? And more of list of questions...

When Japanese friends go back to Japan, it feels like it is something inevitable.
What's left are just memories and the hope that someday, 
they'll come back, just to nurture the friendship.

While on a jeepney ride, I was wondering whether Filipino students from UP, Ateneo or La Salle would be interested to join a study tour to Japan. In that case, I'd like to be a leader. Lol. But then, I need to be a participant too, first. And then... another thought came to my being of saving the money VOA gets from profit of organized 1 day short tours to Smoky Mountain and Perez and use it as fund for Study Tour of ACCESS Filipino Staff to Japan later. But then, only saving for fare would take more than 10 years, I guess. Lol. どしょうかな?Orz

"Why can't we gather all the people that we love in one place,
I know I could but there would always be some one who'll leave.
I know what I need. I don't need goobyes, I nee more hellos." - Snoopy

I told you. It was a crazy idea. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I like your ideas, Kring. Not crazy at all. It's time for a fundraiser, eh???

    Mike

    ReplyDelete