Saturday, January 7, 2012

the smiles of children is the greatest reward for hard work

私の仕事は大変疲ですけど、とてもたのしいです。
子供たちの笑顔は私の宝.

I know this blog post is a little late but I just finished writing the documentation report for the Pasko ng Batang Pinoy 2011 Grand Christmas Celebration yesterday at the office and it brought me to a very happy memory. I found a treasure that day and that is the smiles of children. 

These children especially requested me to take a picture with them.
Photo by Jenny Darish

As the event was nearing its end, I came across someone I didn't want to. But then, I tried to be casual and greeted that someone a "Merry Christmas". What I got was a sudden inertia of anger and hate. My mistake took a thousand wave of unfolds. The day could have been perfect except for that part. As I went back to my post in the sound system, I sat quiet and still for a while. A child passed by running... reaching for the balloon which other children were also trying to reach. They were blocking the projector and though it was my task to  tell them to stay away from it, I let them there. It was heart-warming to see their shadows on the big screen. They were having so much fun. If I had a camera, I would instantly take a picture of them. Though it wasn't a perfect shot, I would keep it since it washed away my comfortless feelings.

Children waiting for their turn, at the inflatables.
Photo by DSWD-Central Office, SMS.

The event was held last December 22, 2011 at Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City. Every office-mate was wearing their red shirt while the children were wearing their own colors. Yet, before the event, it was a week full of rush, frustrations, miscommunication, office-mates fighting over small things just because they're too tired. Actually, the behind-the-scenes made my heart beat stronger because of the work and challenges, than the event itself.

Me and my office mates sitting around at Lunch Time.
The only time that we had free time. xd

My Japanese friends Rulika, Zenta and Miori also went there but I felt anxious that I couldn't event take them around because I couldn't leave my post in the sound system. Rulika said she didn't expect that the event would be as big as she saw it that day. I mis-explained to them I guess, that the event was DSWD's, so it really is HUGE. There were 1,000 children who participated from 17 local government units of Metro Manila.

Me with the DJs. They let me be a DJ too, for a day. 
or to put it in other words, Sound Director. :))
Photo by Jenny Darish

President Benigno Aquino III was also there as well as his sister, Ms. Kris Aquino (and her children, Joshua and James). Here's a copy of his speech during the event - CLICK! Coco Martin, John Lapuz and Going Bulilit Stars was also there. Ms. Venus Raj, DSWD's ambassadress for children was also there to play games with the children delegates. There was also an inflatable playground, face and body-painting, food and of course, gifts.

The President lead the gift-giving.

And! It was nice to see the traditional dance called "Igal-igal" of Sama-Bajaus through their children. As I searched through the net, it is a widely accustomed dance of Southeast Asia with the body's movement metaphorically pertaining to the gentle rush of waves in the sea and the quick footwork at the bottom representing little sea creatures such as crabs, snails,etc at the shore.

Makati - my area of assignment for CY 2012.

My only wish is that the children spent a happy day through our hard work, because they surely made me happy just by watching their smiles from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment