Tuesday, January 3, 2012

the leader of the band is Dad.

Today at work, I'd like to celebrate that finally, 4 homeless families that I handled has accessed their financial assistance of house rental and is now in the safety of their four-walled homes. Their livelihood assistance and the start of planting sampaguita is yet to follow. ;)

Yet today, I wanted to celebrate one more special event, and which I should be thankful for - my Father's birthday. And this is a blog post of how he has been more than a father but my English professor, music teacher, trainer in biking and swimming, editor, guidance councilor and my best friend over the years.

Papa, With Yuri and Bebe, fellow ACCESS volunteer.

He was 1/2 of the reason why my name is "Kristiane". On his dating years with my mother, they watched movies a lot and one of those was about a girl named "Kristiane" who defeated all the other boys in a competition on biking exhibition. Seemingly, he was hoping I would stand up above the rest and taking a leap in the boundaries of gender differences. I hope I did. :3

When I was 2, he cut my hair in that I looked like a boy. He really wanted the first born to be a boy and as I went out to the world, I was sorry for making him frustrated that I wasn't. However, I think I grew up to be androgynous. At times, he would comment on my short skirts, showy sleeveless shirts and make-up but I learned as times passed, that it was his way of showing care and just being protective.

When I was 3, we both waited in my the living room of grandfather's home for the birth of my baby brother. While we were playing at the middle of the night, he asked me "would you love your brother?". "Of course, I will Papa.", I can still remember that I promised him that. So I did.

My brother and me. Photograph by Papa.

When I was 4, he introduced me to biking. We would sail out early in the morning to Legazpi Port to practice. And as the day finally came that the training wheels was detached from my cute and rainbow colored bicycle, our hearts were both filled with laughter and happiness that it was my first success in life! From then, on weekends we would go the port or the park to bike, bike and bike. I guess "the adventurous me" came out of the shell, in these years.

When I was 7, he taught me how to swim. In Legazpi City, we lived near the sea. Pacific Ocean was just a 3-minute walk from my grandfather's house. My mother said I nearly drowned when I was 3 because of my father. Lol. But, because of him too, I can survive any accident in the sea. I grew up, never being scared of riding a boat. When I turned 19, I was riding a boat to Alabat Island monthly. I was never afraid because for such a long time, he already prepared me for it.

We were glowing in the light. 

When I was in elementary, he worked far away from home (Sorsogon City, Metro Manila) and that his way to be a parent to me and my younger brother, was to write letters. Each of his letters to me were written in English and had drawings of chickens or rooftops or stars. This was how he thought me English and love for the arts.


When I was in high school, he taught me how to use the computer by making me interested with Paint and games. He never stopped telling me to "keep the curiosity" and "never stop experimenting". I grew up being  computer-literate and never afraid of gadgets and all other stuffs as long as i keep the curiosity to learn. As a third year high school student, I would go home early to catch his guitar-lessons although I really hated it at first. He kept me interested by playing my favorite songs.. until the day came that I sang solo in a gathering of Redemptorists playing "Torete". Thank you for the gift of music.

At Banaue. :)

When I was 15, he stayed beside me every night when I was crying because of my anxiety in going to UP. I felt so belittled with the BIG WORLD I would be facing in the vast forestry of the University of the Philippines, its well-known professors and fellow UP students who were Valedictorian or Salutatorians from their high schools. He reminded me that I grew up not afraid of things and yet I am so scared of trying a new thing that would greatly affect my future. Amid my cries and pleas, he stood up with me on the lines to get medical certificates, enroll in classes and reserve a room in Kalayaan Dormitory. He would visit me every Saturday at the dormitory, treat me ice cream and we would have long walks. Because of those, I was able to adapt to the pressures of being a Freshman at UP. Thank you so much for this Papa.

Celebrating my graduation day with pizza!

When I was 17, I asked him that I wanted to shift to BS Psychology. BUT, he didn't permit. He challenged me to finish Social Work first, (if I really am serious with studying Psychology), and study Psychology after I become a social worker. I took it. And this year, I hope to take my Masters in Psychology.

He has also been like a father to my friends.


When I was 19, he showed me the way to ACCESS Office (even though he also didn't knew) at the day of my interview with the Executive Director and the NGO's Finance Officer. After my interview, I told them I was with my father. I felt ashamed of it, but in the end, my father became a very good supporter and volunteer of ACCESS too. In the long run, the partnership of Redemptorist and ACCESS grew.

After a late afternoon swimming at Alabat Island.

When I was 21, he became worried about my health and in everyday reminded me to "drink milk". And yes, I  am doing it so don't worry much about me Papa, okay? :3

Hanging out at 13th St, with my new laptop from him.

Now that I'm 22, we talk about work and philosophical things. That is why I want to finish reading "Sophie's World" because I also think it is somehow comparable to me and my father's story. And yet, he borrowed it and again, he would be the first one to finish a book I bought for myself. xd

I dedicate this song to Papa.


I am nothing, if not for my father's love.
Really, "My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man".

Happy Birthday Papa! I love you. <3 - Kring

No comments:

Post a Comment